Ask Selma!

Q. I have been diagnosed with a cancerous polyp (colon cancer) 4 to 5 cm. The problem is I have the hepatitis C. I have had it for about 30 years. About 20 years ago I tried the cure with interferon. It did not work and it made my platelet count drop a lot. My platelet count is about 35,000. I retain fluid from the hepatitis. My immune system is weakened. I don’t think open surgery is the best solution. What are my other options? I would like to give you a little more information. The doctor at Kaiser said my blood work the markers showed no sign of the cancer anywhere else. But I do not think with my other conditions I will ever completely recover to where I am right now. I am going to try to see someone at the city of hope hospital for another opinion. I just want to know what other option I might have. Is there any way to keep the cancer in check without surgery? Or any less abrasive procedures that might work? NEED ADVISE ASAP! Thank you for your time.

A. It’s great that you are getting evaluated for your colon cancer at the City of Hope and all of the questions you are asking me are the ones you will need to bring up at your consultation. Seeking an opinion at a top cancer center will help you understand your clinical options and if additional surgery is necessary. A multidisciplinary medical team will take all of your health issues into consideration so treatment recommendations will be tailored for you. Write down all your questions in advance and be prepared to present your medical history. Hopefully, you’ve been able to get a copy of your pathology report and medical records to the consulting doctor you’ll be meeting with. If you have not, they should be able to help facilitate this for you. Feel free to write me again after you have had your consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTE: No information in the “Ask Selma” column is intended to diagnose or treat any condition and should not be construed as medical advice. The opinions expressed here are Selma’s and do not necessarily reflect those of Vital Options International. You should never delay seeking or disregard professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health care provider because of something you read on any website.